Stanislaus County Library cards are available at all library branches and can be used for library services at all 13 libraries in the Stanislaus County Library System. The requirements for a library card, which is free, are as follows:
- Form must be filled out completely
- Customers must show current government-issued photo identification. Valid forms may include, but not limited to:
- California Driver's License or ID
- Driver's License or ID issued by another state
- Consular Identification Card (CID)
- You must show verification of your current address. Some examples are:
- Current utility bill in applicant's name (postmarked within 30 days)
- Lease, rental agreement or rent receipt in applicant's name showing address (dated within 30 days)
- Current Post Office Box receipt in applicant's name
- Mail that has been sent to you at your current address (postmarked within 30 days)
- Library card applications for customers 17 years old or younger require a parent's or a legal guardian's signature and information. If the customer is 12 or under, the parent or guardian must be present and show photo identification.
- There is a $1.00 replacement charge for a lost card.
- If you change your name, address, or phone number please notify us by calling (209) 558-7808 or your local branch.
- Please call (209) 558-7808 immediately if your card is lost or stolen; call Monday-Thursday 10 am - 8 pm, Friday-Saturday 10 am - 5 pm
You may also complete an application online. More information is available here.
Loan Periods, Limits, and Renewals
- Adult and Teen Fiction - No limits
- Adult and Teen Non-Fiction - No limits
- Books on CD - No limits
- Children's Fiction - No limits
- Children's Folklore and Poetry - No limits
- Children's Holiday Books - No limits
- Children's Non-Fiction - No limits
- Children's Picture Books - No limits
- DVD - limit of 8 per card
- eBooks - limit of 3 per card
- Encyclopedias - limit of 4 per card
- Magazines - limit of 4 per title, no limit on total
- Number of holds per library card - 35
- Number of eBook holds per library card - 5
All materials check out for 21 days.
Books and magazines may be returned to any library in the county system, either inside the library or at the curbside book drops that are located at many of the libraries. The Modesto Library has two book drops, one in front of the library and one just inside the front door. Please return all materials by the due date. Materials not returned on time are subject to the following:
- Fines of 25 cents per day, per item for all items will be levied.
- If materials are overdue, one courtesy reminder will be sent to you by phone or e-mail. Please inform us of any changes to your address, phone number, or e-mail address.
- If you do not return materials after the courtesy reminder, your account will be sent to a collection agency. A $7.50 collection fee will be added to the charges you owe.
- If you accumulate charges above $10.00, the library must suspend your checkout privileges until payment has been received.
If your card is lost or stolen, contact us at (209) 558-7808 immediately. Replacement cards cost $1.00.
Library materials may be renewed twice unless there is a hold on the item.
Holds on library material must be checked out within 7 library business days once available. eBook holds must be checked out within 3 days once available.
Replacement Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
- Retail price $5.00 and under: Fee = $5.00
- Retail price $5.00 - $10.00: Fee = $8.00
- Retail price $10.00 - $15.00: Fee = $12.00
- Retail price $15.00 - $20.00: Fee = $15.00
- Retail price $20.00 - $30.00: Fee = $23.00
- Retail price $30.00 - $40.00: Fee = $28.00
- Retail price over $40.00: Fee = List price minus $10.00
DVDs and Music CDs
- Retail price $20.00 and under: Fee = $20.00
- Retail price over $20.00: Fee = List price
Books on CD
- All Books on CD: Fee = List price