Digital Services Library Cards:
You can apply for a digital services library card online, giving you access to library databases, eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming video, digital music and more. This is the quickest way to gain access to the library’s digital offerings while Stanislaus County Libraries are closed. Requirements to apply for a digital services library card, which is free, are as follows:
- The online library card application form must be filled out completely, including your full first and last name.
- Customers who apply online will receive their temporary or digital library card information by email or phone. Please allow up to 48 hours to process the library card applications during the week and 72 hours on weekends.
Full Access Library Cards:
Stanislaus County Library cards are available at all library branches and can be used for library services at all 13 libraries in the Stanislaus County Library System. The requirements for a library card, which is free, are as follows:
- The library card application, available in English and Spanish, must be filled out completely.
- The application may be submitted in person at any library branch or by email. Please call the library at (209) 558-7808 if you are unable to email the application. Library card applications cannot be accepted in person during the library closure.
- Customers who submit a completed application by mail, by email, or online will receive a digital services library card. You will receive confirmation and your digital services card number by email or phone.
- Customers must show current government-issued photo identification in order to receive a permanent library card. The following forms of identification may be used:
- California Driver's License or ID
- Driver's License or ID issued by another state
- Consular Identification Card (CID)
- You must show verification of your current address. Some examples are:
- Current utility bill in applicant's name (postmarked within 30 days)
- Lease, rental agreement or rent receipt in applicant's name showing address (dated within 30 days)
- Current Post Office Box receipt in applicant's name
- Mail that has been sent to you at your current address (postmarked within 30 days)
- Library card applications for customers 17 years old or younger require a parent's or a legal guardian's signature and information. If the customer is 12 or under, the parent or guardian must be present and show photo identification.
- There is a $1.00 replacement charge for a lost card.
- If you change your name, address, or phone number please notify us by calling (209) 558-7808 or your local branch.
- Please call (209) 558-7808 immediately if your card is lost or stolen; call Monday-Thursday 10 am - 8 pm, Friday-Saturday 10 am - 5 pm
IF YOU ARE VISITING STANISLAUS COUNTY:
If you are visiting Stanislaus County, or are residing here temporarily, you may apply for a Stanislaus County Library card. On your application, please list your local and permanent address.
Library Customers, Please Note:
It is your responsibility to notify the library immediately if you change your name or address. There is no charge for changing information, and you may continue to use the same library card.
If you lose your library card, please notify the library immediately, so that we can prevent unauthorized use of your library card account.
Please allow 48 hours to process the library card applications during the week and 72 hours on weekends.
Loan Periods, Limits, and Renewals
- Adult and Teen Fiction - No limits
- Adult and Teen Non-Fiction - No limits
- Books on CD - No limits
- Books on Tape - No limits
- Children's Fiction - No limits
- Children's Folklore and Poetry - No limits
- Children's Holiday Books - No limits
- Children's Non-Fiction - No limits
- Children's Picture Books - No limits
- DVD - No limits
- eBooks - limit of 3 per card
- Encyclopedias - limit of 4 per card
- Magazines - limit of 4 per title, no limit on total
- Number of holds per library card - 35
- Number of eBook holds per library card - 5
All materials check out for 21 days.
Books and magazines may be returned to any library in the county system, either inside the library or at the curbside book drops that are located at many of the libraries. The Modesto Library has two book drops, one in front of the library and one just inside the front door. Please return all materials by the due date. Materials not returned on time are subject to the following:
- Fines of 25 cents per day, per item for all items will be levied.
- If materials are overdue, one courtesy reminder will be sent to you by phone or e-mail. Please inform us of any changes to your address, phone number, or e-mail address.
- If you do not return materials after the courtesy reminder, your account will be sent to a collection agency. A $7.50 collection fee will be added to the charges you owe.
- If you accumulate charges above $10.00, the library must suspend your checkout privileges until payment has been received.
If your card is lost or stolen, contact us at (209) 558-7808 immediately. Replacement cards cost $1.00.
Library materials may be renewed twice unless there is a hold on the item.
eBooks may not be renewed.
Holds on library material must be checked out within 7 library business days once available. eBook holds must be checked out within 3 days once available.
Replacement Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
- Retail price $5.00 and under: Fee = $5.00
- Retail price $5.00 - $10.00: Fee = $8.00
- Retail price $10.00 - $15.00: Fee = $12.00
- Retail price $15.00 - $20.00: Fee = $15.00
- Retail price $20.00 - $30.00: Fee = $23.00
- Retail price $30.00 - $40.00: Fee = $28.00
- Retail price over $40.00: Fee = List price minus $10.00
DVDs and Music CDs
- Retail price $20.00 and under: Fee = $20.00
- Retail price over $20.00: Fee = List price
Books on CD
- All Books on CD: Fee = List price